Let's create popups in WordPress with Popup Maker! Popups are an essential part of the graphical UI of a website. They provide additional content or are used to prompt for some interaction from the user. The main purpose of popups is to make this information stand out, by covering other parts of the graphical interface.
There are different types of popups, they can be classified for example, according to their content:
- Opt-in e-mails
- Registration forms
The Popup Maker plugin for WordPress helps developers to embed any kind of content inside a popup window, you can add conditions to filter the content to be presented.
Keep reading to learn how to use this plugin!
Step # 1. Install the Plugin
I am using the terminal application for this task, you can use your preferred method of installing WordPress plugins.
- Open the plugin page in your web browser
- Right-click the Download button and select Copy link address (this downloads the latest version of the module)
- Open the terminal application of your system
- Place the cursor at wp-content/plugins
This will download the zip file to your server, uncompress the file and finally remove it. (The version you are downloading may differ from the one detailed in this tutorial.)
- Click Plugins on your Dashboard
- Locate Popup Maker
- Click Activate
You will see a welcome message.
- Click Create your first popup
Step # 2. Create a Popup
- Add a proper name (the name of the popup is mandatory)
- Add an optional title for the popup. This title will be displayed to the user (this field is optional)
- Click Insert from URL
- Paste a video URL
- Click Insert into post
Notice the analytics panel on the right side of the screen. Each time a user clicks n the popup, a conversion will be recorded.
- Scroll down to the Popup settings
- Click Add new trigger
- Choose the type of trigger Time Delay / Auto open
- Click Add
- Change the Delay to 3000ms (3s)
- Leave the Cookie name untouched
- Click Add
- Click the pencil icon to edit the cookie
- Change the cookie time value to 1 week
- Click Update
- Click the Targeting vertical tab
- Select All posts as the condition
- Click the Display vertical tab
- Click Center Popup
- Click Size
- Change the size to Large - 80%
- Change the Animation type to Fade and slide
- Change the Animation origin to Left
- Click Publish to save the popup
Step #3. Create a Post
- Click Posts > Add New
- Write proper title and content
- Click Publish twice
A video will be displayed on the published post after 3 seconds.
Step #4. Other Plugin Settings
You can choose between predefined color schemes for your popup. You can also edit these themes to your liking.
A list of people who already have subscribed to your newsletter.
Global settings for the configuration of all popups. These settings can be overridden on a popup basis, as seen in Step # 2.
A list with all available popups.
I hope you liked this tutorial. Thanks for reading!