This tutorial will show you how to take an RSS feed and import it into your Wordpress site. Each item on the RSS feed will become a separate Wordpress post. We use this technique for a couple purposes:
- Distributing our content to other Wordpress sites.
- Importing blogs and news on a particular topic from other sites. This way people can read them all in one place.
We're going to use a plugin called FeedWordPress.
Installing and Configuring FeedWordPress
- Step 1: Go to the FeedWordPress page on Wordpress.org and download the file.
- Step 2: Extract the files into a folder on your desktop. The folder will be called, unsurprisingly "feedwordpress"
- Step 3: Login to your site's files via FTP and navigate to /wp-content/plugins/.
- Step 4: Upload the "feedwordpress" folder to /wp-content/plugins/.
- Step 5: Go to wp-admin >> Plugins and click "Activate" under "FeedWordPress".
- Step 6: Once you've enabled it, you'll see a new tab on the sidebar called "Syndication". Click the first link called "Syndication". You'll see a screen like below:
- Step 7: Enter your RSS feed into the box called "Add new source" and click "Syndicate"
- Step 8: FeedWordPress will check the feed and if it's valid, you can click "Use this Feed" to import the posts.
Importing the RSS Feeds
Now that you're set up, there are two ways to import feeds:
- Manually: If you'd like to manually import feeds, go the "Syndication" link, check the feeds and click "Update Checked".
- Automatically: If you'd like to manually import feeds, go the "Feed and Updates" link and FeedWordPress will show you how to give you instructions to set-up a cron job.