We're happy to add a large and highly-requested new class to the OSTraining library today, Drupal 8 Layout and Theming.
To take this class, you should already have good Drupal 8 site building skills, plus a knowledge of CSS, HTML and some PHP.
- In the second part of the class, you'll build your first custom theme. You'll create all the architecture needed for a theme, from the files and folders to the external scripts and mobile breakpoints.
- In the third part of the class, you'll get a deeper understanding of all the elements found in a typical theme folder and how to customize them.
- In the fourth part of the class, you'll take an existing design and turn it into a complete Drupal theme!
Outline of the Drupal 8 Theming Class
- Introduction to Drupal 8 Theming
- What You'll Need for This Class
- Setting up Your Environment
Introduction to Themes
- How Does Drupal Theming Work?
- Who are Drupal Themers?
- Finding and Evaluating Contributed Themes
- Installing Themes
- Static, Configurable and Responsive Themes
Build Your First Theme
- Building a Custom Theme
- Add a Screenshot and Logo
- Clear the Theme Cache
- Add Regions to a Drupal Theme
- Add Libraries to a Drupal Theme
- Add CSS to a Drupal Theme
- Add External Scripts to a Drupal Theme
- Add Google Fonts to a Drupal Theme
- Advanced YML File Options
- Mobile Breakpoints
- Mobile Breakpoints Exercise
- Drupal 8 Theming Quiz 1
Customizing Your Theme
- Introduction to Theme Customization
- Anatomy of a Drupal Theme
- Drupal Coding Standards
- Introduction to Twig Template Files
- Template Overrides in Drupal
- Installing the Devel Module
- A Drupal Template Override Demo
- Creating a Node Template Override
- Creating a Maintenance Page Template Override
- Add Custom Regions
- Overriding Drupal Breacrumbs
- Using Devel Kint
- Drupal 8 Theming Quiz 2
Base Themes and Subthemes
- Introduction to Base Themes and Subtheming
- Best Practices for Subthemes
- Create a Bartik Subtheme
Setting Up The Theme
- How to Match an Existing Design
- Creating the Custom Theme
- Adding Block Regions
- Site Building for Our Theme
- Create a Services Content Type
- Create a Banner Content Type
- Adding Content, Part 1
- Adding Content, Part 2
- Creating Custom Blocks
- The Services View
- The Blog View
- The Frontpage Banner View
- Create Template Overrides
- Overrides for Frontpage Content
- Adding CSS and Images
- How Would You Do That in Drupal?
- Drupal 8 Theming Quiz 3