It's good practice to allow users to leave your site completely.
That means users should be able to delete their account entirely, together with all the data associated with it.
In Drupal, you can allow users to delete their accounts. Here's how the feature works:
- Go to People > Permissions.
- Under "User", check the boxes next to the "Cancel own user account" and "Select method for canceling own account" permissions:
Note that if you are logged in with the main User 1 account, you will not be able to delete your account. You will need to create a test account.
Here's how get the to the "Cancel account" button:
- Go to the "My Account" page.
- Click the "Edit" tab:
- Scroll to the bottom and find the "Cancel account" button.
- When you click the button, you'll find 4 more choices that allow the user to decide what happens to any content they have created on your site: