One of things we often do for our training clients is simplify the admin area for them. There is a module that allows users to manage their site via a clean, dropdown menu. It has proven so popular that companies such as Acquia provide it by default to all their customers:
Here's how to install it:
- Step 1: Click here to download the latest version of "Admin Menu". Choose the top link under "Recommended releases".
- Step 2: Extract the files into a folder on your desktop. The folder will be called "admin_menu"
- Step 3: Login to your site's files via FTP and navigate to /sites/default/. If there isn't a folder called /modules/ here, create one.
- Step 4: Upload the "admin_menu" folder to /sites/default/modules/
- Step 5: Go to Administer >> Modules >> Administration menu and check the box.
- Step 6: Click 'Save Configuration" at the very bottom of the screen.
- Step 7: Go to Administer >> Site configuration >> Administration menu and there are some settings you can edit.
Once you've followed those seven steps, your dropdown menu should appear at the top of the page.