If you run a website that allows registration, you're probably familiar with the parade of fake addresses that people use: mickymouse [at] hotmail.com, email [at] email.com and so on. You've also seen spam addresses often ending in .ru, .biz, info or similar.
This week we're going to show you how to check registration emails to make sure they are using legitimate. This can cut down on the number of spam comments, forum posts and other submissions you have to deal with.
We're going to use a plugin called Registration Validator. Here's how you do it:
- Register for an account at CEDit.biz and confirm your account.
- Log in and Download the Registration Validator plugin.
- In the administration area of your Joomla site, go to Extensions >> Install / Uninstall and upload the file.
- In the administration area of your Joomla site, go to Extensions >> Plugin Manager >> System - Registration Validator and enable the plugin.
- Inside the plugin you can change the settings.
Once the plugin is enabled your registration form will have add another layer of protection to your site from spammers.