SPECIAL OFFER: Only $69 for access to everything in OSTraining for 1 year! You save $75! 
Join today and get access to 1,000's of books and videos. Learn WordPress, Drupal, Magento, Joomla and more! Sign up today!

MP3 Audio playlist

5 years 11 months ago #117292 by Juc2
MP3 Audio playlist was created by Juc2
Hi all,

I have links to multiple MP3 files so rather than having multiple mp3 players on my page I want a single mp3 player and then the track list ie something like this:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Any ideas please how I can do this - whether using a module or not? I have tried www.drupal.org/project/mediaelement and www.drupal.org/project/jplayer but neither are working so far.

Thanks...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #117295 by Nick
Replied by Nick on topic MP3 Audio playlist
Hi Juc2,

It doesn't appear that mediaelement has that in their API. However, it does look like JPlayer does. I wasn't able to find any screenshots for it though.

Here's what we can do. We'll install it, play around with it, and turn it into a tutorial. If it's not the design you were looking for, we'll look for an alternative.

How does that sound?

Kind regards,
Nick

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/OSTraining
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/ostraining

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #117299 by Juc2
Replied by Juc2 on topic MP3 Audio playlist

Nick wrote: Hi Juc2,

It doesn't appear that mediaelement has that in their API. However, it does look like JPlayer does. I wasn't able to find any screenshots for it though.

Here's what we can do. We'll install it, play around with it, and turn it into a tutorial. If it's not the design you were looking for, we'll look for an alternative.

How does that sound?

Kind regards,
Nick


Hi Nick,

That sounds great - thanks. If possible I want to use links (ie for files hosted elsewhere) rather than file uploads. There is an old Jplayer thread here although it is not very clear. Also I can see in firebug that the site screenshot I posted above is using D7 and Jplayer .

Thanks...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #117408 by Nick
Replied by Nick on topic MP3 Audio playlist
Hi Juc2,

Just wanted to give you a quick update on this. I've started on the tutorial and should have it done by the end of the day.

I'll try and get it to use links instead of self-hosted files too.

Kind regards,
Nick

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/OSTraining
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/ostraining

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #117410 by Juc2
Replied by Juc2 on topic MP3 Audio playlist
@ Nick ok great, thanks...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #117425 by Nick
Replied by Nick on topic MP3 Audio playlist
Hi Juc2,

The documentation isn't the clearest, so I hit a few snags and ran out of time today. But, I'll work on it again tomorrow.

The good news is that it looks like you'll be able to both have playlists and use external mp3 files.

Looking forward to getting you this tutorial.

Kind regards,
Nick

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/OSTraining
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/ostraining

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #117428 by Juc2
Replied by Juc2 on topic MP3 Audio playlist
@ Nick ok thank you...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #117487 by Nick
Replied by Nick on topic MP3 Audio playlist
Hi Juc2,

Hope you had a good weekend!

Just a quick update. I'm still having trouble with it, but I've made progress. If I'm not able to complete it today, I'll hand it off to Steve who will be able to finish it for you.

By the way, where will your external files be coming from?

Kind regards,
Nick

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/OSTraining
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/ostraining

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #117492 by Juc2
Replied by Juc2 on topic MP3 Audio playlist

Nick wrote: Hi Juc2,

Hope you had a good weekend!

Just a quick update. I'm still having trouble with it, but I've made progress. If I'm not able to complete it today, I'll hand it off to Steve who will be able to finish it for you.

By the way, where will your external files be coming from?

Kind regards,
Nick

@ Nick ok thanks. The links will be from an RSS feed and will look something like this (not my file, just a random example to show the link format):
http://www.mp3mixtape.us/iframes/audio/Progressive/FadedShadows-ProgressiveHouseMix192.mp3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #117499 by Nick
Replied by Nick on topic MP3 Audio playlist
Is it OK importing those files to your site using the link? Or do they have to remain externally hosted?

Kind regards,
Nick

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/OSTraining
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/ostraining

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #117501 by Juc2
Replied by Juc2 on topic MP3 Audio playlist

Nick wrote: Is it OK importing those files to your site using the link? Or do they have to remain externally hosted?

Kind regards,
Nick


@ Nick the MP3 files need to be externally hosted (on a podcast server, for various reasons such as bandwidth).

Thanks...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #117555 by steve
Replied by steve on topic MP3 Audio playlist
Hi Juc2

It looks like remote files are a feature that's unsupported by Drupal and JPlayer at the moment: www.drupal.org/node/1320834

One person in that thread has a suggestion:

I'm achieving this very nicely with Media 7.x-2.x-dev, Remote stream wrapper, and jplayer. You can add remote URLs to any audio or video file and they render in jplayer without ever touching your server


There are no more details, and Media is a large and complex module to use, but that might be one option here.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #117589 by Juc2
Replied by Juc2 on topic MP3 Audio playlist

steve wrote: Hi Juc2

It looks like remote files are a feature that's unsupported by Drupal and JPlayer at the moment: www.drupal.org/node/1320834

One person in that thread has a suggestion:

I'm achieving this very nicely with Media 7.x-2.x-dev, Remote stream wrapper, and jplayer. You can add remote URLs to any audio or video file and they render in jplayer without ever touching your server


There are no more details, and Media is a large and complex module to use, but that might be one option here.

@Steve really what I am asking should not be that difficult so it drives me nuts that Drupal makes this kind of thing so difficult. www.drupal.org/project/mediaelement can use remote files but can't do a playlist. www.drupal.org/project/jplayer can do a playlist but can't use remote files. I have not used the Media module before so it sounds like a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I will also look at www.drupal.org/project/jw_player but I am not optimistic!

Thanks...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #117601 by steve
Replied by steve on topic MP3 Audio playlist
Yes, you've summed it well. I'm afraid I believe is similar: www.drupal.org/project/jw_player It does individual files, not playlists.

There's a long thread and some possible patches to allow playlists:
www.drupal.org/node/1215108

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Join today and get access to 1,000's of books and videos. Learn WordPress, Drupal, Magento, Joomla and more! Sign up today!