How to Design Joomla 1.5 Templates
Released: June 4, 2011
Certificate: Finish lessons
Creating a fantastic look and feel for your Joomla site is pretty important. You can buy templates or even download and use free ones. However, if you really want a unique look, you need to create your own template.
In the first part of the class, we'll introduce you the world of Joomla templates and show the tools you'll need for template design.
- Introduction to the Joomla 1.5 Template Course
- Introduction to Joomla Templates
- Resources You'll Need on Your Mac
- Resources You'll Need on Your PC
- Template Clubs
In the second part of the class, you'll learn how about the key files that a Joomla template needs:
- Building Block 1 - Table of Contents - templateDetails.xml
- Building Block 2 - Template Framework - index.php
- Building Block 3 - Template Styles - CSS
- Building Block 4 - Template Images - /images/
- Building Block 5 - Template Security - index.html
In the third part of the class, you'll create and use all of the key files:
- Brief CSS Tutorial
- Step 1 - Setting Up the Template Files
- Step 2 - index.php
- Step 3 - Finishing the CSS and index.php
- Step 4a - Some Styling Tips and Tricks
- Step 4b - Conditional Statements
- Step 5 - templateDetails.xml
In the fourth part of the class, you'll learn how prepare a Photoshop file for Joomla:
- Slicing - Exporting the Background
- Slicing - Exporting Elements
- Final Site and CSS
In the fifth part of the class, youi'll learn how to add advanced features to your template:
- Module Styles
- Advanced Joomla CSS
- Template Parameters
- Template Overrides
In the final part of the class, we'll show you how to covert an HTML design to Joomla.
- Setting Up The Files
- Header and Logo
- More About the Header
- The Menus
- Main Content
- Footer and Cleanup
Rod holds two masters degrees and has been training people how to do "things" for over 25 years. Originally from Australia, he grew up in Canada and now resides just outside Cincinnati, Ohio. He has worked in both the non-profit and for-profit worlds, in small companies and large corporations.
His extensive open source experience includes WordPress, Joomla, Drupal and Moodle and he really knows how to help you get the most out of the system you chose.
Rod plays ice hockey a couple of times a week and rides his Goldwing motorcycle pretty much everywhere he can.