WordPress does provide a default comments system. However, many people find the default comments to be limited and hard to manage.
I've seen a lot of WordPress sites move to Facebook comments so that they can provide a better alternative.
In this post, I'm going to show you how to run Facebook comments on your WordPress site.
Step #1. Install the Facebook Comments plugin
- Login to your WordPress site.
- Go to Plugins > Add new and search for "Facebook Comments".
- Click "Install Now" and activate the plugin
Step #2. Create a Facebook App ID
- Go to the Facebook Developers page.
- Click "Add a new app".
- Choose "Website".
- Type in a custom name for the app.
- Click "Create new Facebook app ID".
- Choose a Category, which in my case is "Apps for pages".
- Click "Create App ID".
Your app ID is almost ready!
In the next page, you will see a bunch of code. Look for the "appId" reference and copy its value without the quotation marks. This will be the ID to use in the next step.
- Scroll down and type the URL of your WordPress site.
- Then, click "Next" to finish this part.
Step #3. Add Facebook App ID to your WordPress site
Go back to your site's dashboard.
- Facebook comments
- Type in the App ID from the previous step.
- Scroll down to click the "Save changes" button.
Step #4. End result
Visit one of your posts to confirm the Facebook comments plugin is indeed working:
With this current setup, your site now allows you to post Facebook comments, but also the regular WordPress comments below. In order to disable the default comment, take a look at this tutorial.
If you want more features, check out how to reply to WordPress comments by email.