Over the course of my career, I've seen a lot of hacked websites
Many websites are hacked directly, but we've also seen them hacked because of compromised computers. For example, a keyboard logger might be used to steal login information.
If you build websites, it's important to make sure your computer is safe.
This tutorial will show you how to scan your PC using Malwarebytes.
For Mac users, give our ClamXav tutorial a try instead.
Step #1. Download Malwarebytes
- Go to https://www.malwarebytes.org/ and download the installer.
Step #2. Install
- Double click the downloaded installer.
- You should see a confirmation window. Click Run.
- Read and click through the subsequent confirmations.
Step #3. Access
- To access Malwarebytes, do a search for "Malwarebytes" from the start menu (bottom left, usually).
- Click on the application to open it.
Step #4. Update Definitions
- Click on "Update Now" to make sure you have the latest threats cataloged. You should do this each time before scanning.
- You'll get a "Update completed" or "No updates available" message once it's done.
Step #5. Scan
- To run the scan, click the "Fix Now" button.
Scanning can take anywhere from a few seconds to hours, depending on the folders that you selected and the number of files within those folders.
Step #6. Cleanup
Once scanning has completed, you'll either get a message saying no threats were detected or a list of infected files.
Infected files can be quarantined all together or individually. Before quarantining or deleting, you should make sure that the files are not false-positives. If you're not sure and if the file doesn't contain sensitive information (e.g. an email), you can upload the file to https://www.virustotal.com to get a second opinion.