Before there were Windows or Mac machines on your desktop, there was the command line. If you wanted to look at the directory structure of your computer or see hidden files, you could type a simple command into the terminal window.
With today's GUI interfaces, the command line may not seem as important. But if you want to manage a remote computer like a VPS or a dedicated web server, the command line can be incredibly helpful.
In this class, Brian takes us on a tour of the command line, giving us the basics we need to find our way around. This course is foundational for server management and Git.
An Introductory Video for the Command Line Class
Outline of the Introduction to the Command Line Class
- Setup - Mac
- Setup - PC
- Viewing Your Current Directory
- Listing Hidden Files and Folders
- Moving Into A Directory
- Using the Tab Key
- Using VI
- Editing Files with VI
- Quitting Without Saving in VI
- Undoing and Redoing Changes in VI
- Moving and Renaming Files
- Copying and Deleting Files
- Working with Directories Part 1
- Working with Directories Part 2
- Deleting Directories
- Using CamelCase
- Introduction to the Command Line Quiz
How to Take the Introduction to the Command Line Class
If you're already an OSTraining member, you can click here to take the Introduction to the Command Line Class.