Many templates do not have built in drop down menus. Coding your own drop down menu can be an extremely difficult task for most people; fortunately, Joomla has several great extensions on JED for drop down menus.
Go to Extensions >> Extension Manager >> Browse... >> Upload & Install
Access Maxi Menu CK Module
Go to Extensions >> Module Manager >> Maxi Menu CK for Joomla! 1.6
Configure the Module
- Title - Choose whatever will help you remember your specific menu
- Show Title - Usually set to Hide
- Position - Select whichever module position you want the menu to appear in. We have a great tutorial on How to Find the Module Postions in a Joomla 1.6 Template
- Published - Set to Published
- Access - Usually Public
Select which pages on which you want the module to appear.
- Menu to render - In this example, it's Top. This menu corresponds to the Top Menu in Menu Manager. You can select whichever one you want to appear (e.g. Main Menu, Customer Menu, etc).
- Module ID - Create a unique ID
The rest of your parameters you can configure to your liking.
Congratulations! You just created a drop down menu in a matter of minutes. Now you can style the menu to your liking using the built in CSS files. If you don't know CSS, we have a great course on CSS in our coding class.