This tutorial will show you how to install a copy of Drupal on your computer. We'll be using the "Acquia Dev Desktop" from http://acquia.com. It is perhaps the quickest, easiest and most reliable way to run Drupal locally. (For P.C. version go here.)
Step 1: Download the Files
Start by visiting http://acquia.com and clicking on "Downloads" and then "Dev Desktop" from the top menu.
- Look for Dev Desktop on the right-hand side of the page.
- Choose the Drupal 7 version.
- Select the version for your make of computer
- Click "Download"
Step 2: Start the Installation
- Click the file you just downloaded to start the installation.
- Click "Next" several times. The only setting that might cause problems is the Ports page. If you see and error, try turning off all other programs that are running on the computer. If that doesn't help. try changing the port number.
- Enter the Site name, Username, Password and email that you'd like to use for this site.
The full installation will now start and you'll see a progress bar. This might take several minutes.
You might get a firewall warning. If you do, click "Unblock" twice.
When the progress bar ends, you'll see a message saying "Congratuatlions, you're done!"
Step 3: Start the Site
You'll now see the main Acquia Dev Desktop control panel. Click "Go to my site" and you'll see your new Drupal site that you can start working on: