Why Add a Sitemap?
I'll be honest and say that I don't believe sitemaps improve your ranking in search engines. However, they do make sure more pages get indexed and that they get indexed more quickly. This article presents evidence that the difference is astounding:
- Google with a sitemap: 14 minutes
- Google without a sitemap: 1375 minutes
- Yahoo with a sitemap: 245 minutes
- Yahoo without a sitemap: 1773 minutes
How to Add a Sitemap to Your Drupal Site
- Step 1: Click here to download the latest version of "XML Sitemap". Choose the top link under "Recommended releases".
- Step 2: Extract the files into a folder on your desktop. The folder will be called "xmlsitemap"
- Step 3: Login to your site's files via FTP and navigate to /sites/default/. If there isn't a folder called /modules/ here, create one.
- Step 4: Upload the "xmlsitemap" folder to /sites/default/modules/
- Step 5: Go to Administer >> Modules >> Administration menu and check the box next to "XML sitemap" and click "Save Configuration".
- Step 6: After saving you'll presented with more options. Checking all the boxes would be a good choice.
Submitting the Sitemap to Search Engines
- Step 7: Go to Administer >> Site Configuration >> XML Sitemap and you'll have more options to choose from.
- Step 8: Inside the screen on Step 7 you'll see that XML Sitemap allows you'll see a box entitled "Search engines". This will allow you to submit your sitemap to Google, Yahoo and Bing (plus some others, if you care). Here is where you go to register and collect the data you'll need: