Over the last few weeks, Google has quietly rolled out a new Joomla-specific feature. They will tell you if your Joomla site is out-of-date. Previously this useful feature had only been available to WordPress users.
Here's how to take advantage of this new Google feature.
Step 1: Sign up for Google Webmaster Tools
Step 2: Add a Site
- Click the Add a Site button.
- Enter the URL of the Joomla site you'd like to track.
- Google will give ask you to download a file and upload it to your site. You will need access to FTP software or a file manager to upload the file.
- Follow the first three steps and then click Verify.
- If you can't or don't want to use these methods, you can also use a Joomla plugin.
Step 3: Check for Warnings
- Once your site is verified, every time you login to Google Webmaster tools, you'll see a page like the one below.
- Whenever your site becomes out-of-date, you'll see the message "Joomla Update Available".
- Click the "View details" link in the image above and you'll see a detailed message explaining what you need to do.